TOVIAZ Safety and Side Effects
Most common side effects
In clinical studies, the most common side effects included dry mouth and constipation. Other less common side effects include dry eyes and trouble emptying the bladder. Blurred vision, dizziness, and drowsiness are possible side effects of medicines such as TOVIAZ® (fesoterodine fumarate). Drinking alcohol while taking medicines such as TOVIAZ may cause increased drowsiness.
Decreased sweating and severe heat illness can occur when medicines such as TOVIAZ are used in a hot environment.
Tell your doctor if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
What should I tell my doctor before starting TOVIAZ?
Before starting TOVIAZ, tell your doctor about all your medical and other conditions that may affect the use of TOVIAZ, including:
- Stomach or intestinal problems or problems with constipation
- Problems emptying your bladder or if you have a weak urine stream
- Treatment for an eye problem called narrow-angle glaucoma
- Kidney or liver problems
- A condition called myasthenia gravis
- If you are pregnant or trying to become pregnant. It is not known if TOVIAZ can harm your unborn baby
- If you are breastfeeding. It is not known if TOVIAZ passes into breast milk or if it can harm your baby. Talk to your doctor about the best way to feed your baby if you take TOVIAZ
Before starting on TOVIAZ, tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and nonprescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal products. TOVIAZ may affect the way other medicines work, and other medicines may affect how TOVIAZ works. Especially tell your doctor if you are taking antibiotics or antifungal medicines.
Know all the medicines you take. Keep a list of them with you to show your doctor and pharmacist each time you get a new medicine.
Who should not take TOVIAZ?
Do not take TOVIAZ if you:
- Are not able to empty your bladder (urinary retention)
- Have delayed or slow emptying of your stomach (gastric retention)
- Have an eye problem called uncontrolled narrow-angle glaucoma
- Are allergic to TOVIAZ or any of its ingredients (for a complete list of ingredients, please read the Patient Information)
- Are allergic to DETROL® (tolterodine tartrate) or DETROL® LA (tolterodine tartrate extended release capsules), which contain tolterodine
You are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit www.fda.gov/medwatch or call 1-800-FDA-1088.
Next page What You Can Do to Help Treat OAB